Friday, December 12, 2008

Visit to Parit Jawa small fish landing port....and mud skippers

Early this week I took my son to watch with own eyes the mud skipper fish ...ikan belacak...ikan tembakul... or ikan belodok. Beside from reading books and watching Natgeo, he never seen mud skipper fish live.

The location was, Parit Jawa fish landing port... this type of creature dwell in muddy river mouth. Normally the fishes will come out from their burrow in the morning.. perhaps to avoid the scorching heat of the sun during noon...

I had hard time waking him up, early in the morning .. since it's school holiday.. After strong persuasion, we finally of to the site.


According to the Jeff Corwin, the mud skipper kept some amount water in their mouth so that their gills can conduct respiration... it's just like us when we do scuba diving, we bring along the compressed air tank.. so we can breathe through our lungs...

I remembered last time when I took scuba diving for the first time in Bali, my compressed air tank... nearly emptied, perhaps due to excitement and wrong breathing technique underwater....The instructor had to gave me his breathing apparatus so I could continue breathing while we ascending to the surface... luckily it's only a 5m deep dive.. If the depth more then that, perhaps I would be another sea creature meals...

Looking at the mud skipper face I remembered the Gungan ... the alien creature in Star Wars...with it famous character, Jar Jar Binks....


2 comments:

Jumper said...

Great images of the muddy and peaceful lives at the river mouth.

Wan said...

Very nice shot, tu la kau tak ajak aku pi scuba kat Bali ari tu....